Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Ministry in the Classroom


We began our day today by doing some ministry in an English classroom at Hannam University - a campus that practically shares a backyard with Daejeon Central Baptist Church. One of our interpreters is an English professor there and he was able to get us an audience with one of the classes for a 50-minute block. Dad shared his testimony and it was one of the best I've ever heard him share, especially in a small classroom setting like that. I could tell the students were engaged and hanging on every word. Then I shared a bit of my testimony and played a couple of songs for them. It was really funny because as soon as I mentioned I was married, a gasp rose up among the students as if to say, "You're way too young to be married." Then I gave them the kicker. I told them I had two children and their jaws about hit the floor. It's not untypical to find 25 and 26-year old college students in Korea, so they were basically bumm-fuzzled (I've been waiting to use that) when I broke the news.

Tomorrow we head back to Seoul to finish out the week at another church. I'm not sure how e-mail will be, so this may be it for a while. We'll see.

Please continue to pray for the church here in Daejeon as they continue to reach their community. Please especially pray for their outreach to the younger generations. In many ways, outreach to college students and the younger culture here in Korea carries the same types of challenges as in the US. The culture here is changing so rapidly that the church is struggling to be seen as relevant by unbelievers. Philip told me that he was especially concerned about this. Thank you for praying.

0 comments: