Thursday, October 15, 2009

Meditation on Ephesians 1:19

“… that you will know … what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe.”

Why is it that we forget the greatness of God’s power toward us? Is it a preoccupation with other things? Distractions? Is it because our circumstances often cloud the reality that God is bigger than they are? Maybe all of the above. And I’m sure you could add to the list. Paul was writing to a group of Christians who needed reminding that God’s power working in and through and for them cannot be surpassed in its greatness. Paul’s prayer for them was that they would know, with an experiential confidence and assurance, that God’s power was always, ever-working for them on their behalf.

This morning I was reminded of this great truth, because I had somehow forgotten it in the busyness and chaos of life right now. I had forgotten to stop and meditate on His surpassing power. I forgot that He loves to prove Himself strong on my behalf. I forgot that His righteous right hand is quick to come to the aid of His believing ones—and that fact alone should completely change the way we see the world. When situations arise that are beyond our control, our perception of the greatness of His power should consequently affect the way we view our situation or circumstance.

Upon reflection of this verse I gut-checked myself with a few questions. Maybe someone else needs them as well.

  • Do I really trust in the surpassing greatness of God’s power?
  • Do I really believe that He is who He says He is?
  • Do I really believe that He will do what He says He will do?
  • Do I really believe He is all-powerful and can govern the situations of life in a way that brings Him honor and in a way that a loving Father would toward the children He loves?

0 comments: