Saturday, May 16, 2009

Meant For Me

It's a pretty amazing thing when after opening the Word to communicate to a group of twenty-somethings and wondering if you've connected with them at any level whatsoever, a young man approaches you and proceeds to tell you how everything you spoke on was meant for him--even the smallest of details--like you had been rummaging through his e-mails moments before you took the stage. Every bit of it--God-ordained for that young man. That's what happened to me Wednesday night at Two|Four, a weekly collegiate gathering of students in Raleigh, NC. As I had prayed and studied to hear a fresh Word from the Lord, I knew that I wanted to keep it short and sweet, since we had a whole night of worship planned. But I also knew that the Lord was directing me to hit on the subject of Brokenness, Purity and Surrender--all sort of gift-wrapped and bundled together. So, that's what I did.

Afterwards, that's when Brad approached me and said that everything I said was meant for him. I don't get that alot. Please don't hear me say that I'm some kind of spiritual superhero who hears the magnificent audible voice of the transcendent God of the angel armies on a routine basis. I definitely strive to hear His voice, but like most American Christians, I'm so bombarded with the noise of the world, with all of its vain gadgets and avenues without number leading to idleness and slothfulness, that I have a hard time doing so. So, when I do, it's one of those moments where I just have to stop and thank the Lord for allowing me another opportunity to hear His voice and wanting desperately to hear it again and again, and being mindful that I not presume that I will always hear it that clearly, but still always longing to.

So, long for it. Long for Him. Don't presume. But simply long. Study. Get alone with Him. Pray. Seek His face. And then get a fresh word from Him that you need and that someone around may need.

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled." - Matthew 5:6

1 comments:

a.helms said...

Thank you for this Josh! It was very refreshing and challenging to my daily walk.