Thursday, August 21, 2008

"Healer" Exposed

I'm certainly not the first to blog about the recent disclosure of the fraudulent testimony of "Healer's" author Michael Guglielmucci, one of the contributors on the new Hillsong Worship album, "This is Our God." But I figured I would add my thoughts nonetheless. A few days ago, I briefly mentioned the song "Healer" and the incredible story behind the song. Unfortunately, it seems that the whole story was made up by writer Michael Guglielmucci, and he did not in fact have terminal cancer. You can read the whole story here and here.

As I was thinking through my reaction to this unfortunate lie this guy was living, I basically came up with two thoughts. One, this is a trainwreck situation, to be sure. Obviously there are some mental issues this guy is facing right now. And there are thousands around the globe who have been relying on this guy and his song for encouragement as they face their own battles with terminal illnesses or whatever the case may be. So, I'm reminded of the incredible responsibility of us, men and women of God, to understand that there are people watching our lives and to strive to be truth-tellers. To live the truth. That we wouldn't make a mockery of God and gospel by the way we live our lives.

However, my second thought lends itself to more grace than judgment. I'm a broken vessel. You're a broken vessel. Michael is a broken vessel. We're all broken vessels. The fact that the story behind the song was totally fabricated doesn't make the song any less true--the truth that God is a healer--that He's in the business of healing souls and lives. And though the testimony of this particular individual is untrue, the reality that God still heals is definitely not up for debate. Whatever the motivation was for this fabrication, God has still received glory from a song that speaks to His character and praises Him for it. So, I'm thankful that God still uses broken vessels for His use--not matter how badly broken they may be. I think the Apostle Paul said it best in Philippians 1:15-18 concerning motivations for preaching the gospel:

"15 Some, to be sure, preach Christ out of envy and strife, but others out of good will. 16 These do so out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel; 17 the others proclaim Christ out of rivalry, not sincerely, seeking to cause [me] trouble in my imprisonment. 18 What does it matter? Just that in every way, whether out of false motives or true, Christ is proclaimed. And in this I rejoice. Yes, and I will rejoice."

So, pray for Michael. According the article, he's seeking professional help, which I think could be a good thing. But definitely don't waste your time praying that God will figure out a way to clean up the mess and carnage. He wasn't taken by surprise by this. He's totally in control and sovereign over this situation and He'll receive glory from it. No doubt.

4 comments:

Chris said...

Josh

I'm not aware of the controversy you speak of here. But your post got me to thinking about something..

"Blessed be the Lord, my rock,
who trains my hands for war,
and my fingers for battle;" Psalm 144:1

"But the word of the Lord came to me, saying, ‘You have shed much blood and have waged great wars. You shall not build a house to my name, because you have shed so much blood before me on the earth." 1st Chronicles 22:8

How would you reconcile these two verses? It's not a trick question, it just got me thinking. And here's my thought: I believe God decrees all things that come to pass, yet He is not the author of evil. These two truths are somewhat of a mystery yet they are not contradictory. Whaddaya' think?

Griff

Anonymous said...

To me, knowing whether you can trust the church, and trust the pastors, seems to be the biggest stumbling block in getting people to come to church. When they hear stories like this, it creates doubts. That is why learning and reading the bible on your own and not depending on the church to "feed you", is so important. That article reminds me of the video and song by Poison called "Something To Believe In".

"Well I see him on the TV
Preaching about the promised land
he tells me believe in Jesus
steals the money from my hands
some say he was a good man
Lord I think he sinned.... yeah"

Cheryl Nichols said...

Very well put! Thanks for your thoughts. Our God is a merciful God and He is in the business of using broken vessels for His glory.
I praise Him!

a.helms said...

Very well put, Josh! I so agree that the truth does not lie in the words of the broken vessel but in the Great Healer God Himself and that is where we must look to find the answers we need. He is not surprised by the situation and is never surprised by the outcome as well. I do agree that we should not rely on the pastors to be only source of feeding from the Word but I also must say that another's relationship with me is what brought me to the church as well. Once I was there it was important for me to be taught that ALL are broken vessels but until I got there I could not see that.