Friday, January 11, 2008

Flashback Friday: Brandy

The great theologian Woody Allen once said, "I'm not afraid to die; I just don't want to be there when it happens."

As a 10-year old boy, I was there when death came calling for Brandy, my precious cocker-spaniel. I was riding the bus. Brandy liked to chase my bus quite frequently. I think it made her feel mighty. Like she was the cause of this enormous yellow contraption running in the other direction. I felt a thump.

"Hmm ... I wonder what that was!"

I asked my brother, Smooth. He didn't know. We disembarked.

A huddle of neighborhood kids began to gather around Brandy at the foot of my driveway. She lay there in a pool of her own blood, struggling, gurgling her last few breaths. I sat dumbfounded.

"I just ran over my dog," I thought to myself. Maybe I wasn't the one driving, but I was an accomplice nonetheless. I was partly to blame.

"How can I go on?" I wondered. "How can these people go about their normal lives when Brandy lies here in her final moments?" It was a crushing blow to a young developing soul.

Why did she have to love me so much? Why couldn't she at least have had some measure of disdain for me, or my bookbag, my middle-school odor, something? - something that would have acted as a deterrent on that fateful day? - that horrid day burned forever in my memory.

If there was one thing I learned in the midst of that tragedy, it's this:
Skipping school saves lives!


Here's a traditional haiku poem I just wrote in Brandy's memory.

K-9 FOOL

Oh, Brandy, you fool.
I miss you. Why did you go?
That fateful day - bleak.

You ran toward death
Unbeknownst to you - big bus.
You fool. Death on street.

I wish'd you'd been smart
Instead, you loved me too much.
The pain. The sorrow.

Sobs. Tears. Time passes.
Less tears now. I'm grown. You're dead.
There's no tomorrow.

7 comments:

Hatchee said...

That's pretty much the most amazing poem i've ever read.....in my life. haha. That spoke to my soul.
haha, i miss cyril.

Ashley said...

CYRIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahah

Josh Via said...

For those of you wondering, Cyril was my alter-ego who wrote and performed famous Haiku poems for students in Henderson, NC. Very comparable to the character from "A Beautiful Mind," Cyril was the part of me that was birthed during my years as a youth pastor - those life-transforming years where psychosis meets Scripture! Cyril was also known for having a gorgeous mullet!

Anonymous said...

I'd like you to know that this poem changed my life.

p.s. that was probably the most gut-wrenchingly sad story I've ever heard. don't ever tell it again.

Anonymous said...

p.p.s. that was Christin (dubes) by the way.

Josh Via said...

hey thanks dubes! I'm really working on the heart-felt stuff!

Janie said...

Hi Josh,
We have been out of town and now sick but recovering. I am catching up on your and Tasha's blogs. Your story of your dog really touched my heart. I can't imagine how tragic that would be for a young soul to experience that pain associated with loss. We have had our share so I can relate.

Love your tribute to Tasha for her birthday (and everyday I'm sure).

Look for joy in everyday!
Janie Bowman (a brookie)