Sunday, November 05, 2006

The Family You Know

"Spend some time with the family you know" said a commerial I saw tonight advertising for The Sopranos, an HBO grammy award-winning drama. Maybe you saw the commercial as you watched football tonight. In an outright blatant slam against the traditional family, this commercial claims that you, the viewer, know the Soprano family better than your own and encourages you to continue in that endeavor. Sadly, that may be the case for the average viewer. I'm thankful to say that it's not for me.

You know, I'm still trying to figure out this whole blog thing. Because I think that most bloggers (and I can't say that I'm not guilty of this from time to time) feel that they finally have a platform for spewing incoherent verbage and waxing philosophical in a forum that just may get read. But as I sat in the living room tonight watching football with my wife and kids and eating week old popcorn with Areyna (she takes awhile to finish a bag), and thanking God for a beautiful day of worship, I couldn't help but think to myself that this is what really matters in my life. Enjoying my family as a priceless gift from God. And that's when I realized that that's what I want to write about. Those are the stories that matter to me.

And who cares if no one reads. I'll enjoy writing about and basking in the victories of my kids as they say new words and learn about life and God. As Zeke learns to blow bubbles with his saliva and Rainy learns to square dance with her bear. And I'll enjoy dating my wife and spending time together, even if that means a free date between Sunday services at Starbucks (thanks for the Frappachino's Tom). And I'll always spend time with the family that I know. And that's not the Soprano family. And I'll let this tragic situation with Ted Haggard be a sobering reminder to me about what really matters in my life, and that's purity. I'll let it bring me to my knees daily knowing that I'm no less susceptible to moral failure than he was; save for the grace of God.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, we're enjoying getting to read your blog...and it was great to hang out with you the other night.
We'll check the calendar to see about hanging out again soon.
I think the next show is Friday, Nov. 17th (Cursive & Sunny Day Real Estate front man).

Grace to you,

Josh Via said...

heck yea dude, album leaf was amazing. I'll let you know soon about the 17th. we'll have to hook up for sure.
peace, man.

Anonymous said...

wow, i don't think you could have said that any better. Whats the best part about this, is the fact that you LIVE what you write. I have stayed with you and your family for two weekends now and i find that everything you say it true. I watched you as you played with Zeke on the floor and made up a song about Jesus right there. He will grow up with two parent who Love this awesome Lord we serve and He will eventually grow to know Jesus. THat is God's promise. And i watched you and Tasha tag team with rainy as she was screaming because of a high fever. You stayed calm and collected. I see that your house is not just a roof and walls, its a home that is painted with life and the love of Jesus. Your home captures the truth that has captivated you and your wife....its amazing and i only pray that one day ill be so lucky..