Friday, August 10, 2007

God Has Toys

What man among you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good things to those who ask Him! Therefore, whatever you want others to do for you, do also the same for them—this is the Law and the Prophets.
Matt 7:9-12 (HCSB)


[12:32 pmJosh slowly creaps across the yard, sweat dripping from every pore. He looks as if he’s been ravaged by a wild beast.]

Today I was weed-eating my yard in 104-degree heat – the hottest day of the year so far. I’m not sure why I waited until today. It seemed like a good idea at the time. No, actually it never seemed like a good idea. I don't know what I'm talking about.

[12:33 - The weed-eater begins humming softer in a neutral holding pattern. Josh is seen gazing intently at a small toy dump truck, looking as if he might pummel the unsuspecting 4x4.]

During one of many hallucinations throughout the process, my thoughts quickly went to my family, as they often do. As I was trying to maneuver my weed-eater in and out of the Fisher Price yard ornaments left so meticulously by my children, I resisted the urge to wipe them out of existence and get them out of my way. In so doing, I quickly realized what was happening. I was losing the respect and care for my kids' stuff, even though I still expected it from them.

[12:34Josh’s gaze moves from the ground toward the sky. Still clinging to the sputtering weed-eater, he nearly obliterates his sweaty afro in the process.]

So, my thoughts then went upward. I imagined God giving me toys. Actually, He has. He’s given me precious gifts. And He’s given you precious gifts. And they’re not just precious to me or you, they’re precious to Him. In the grand scheme of God’s economy, He’s got tons of toys and tons of children, so they may seem insignificant. But they’re not. They’re important to Him. His children are important to Him. So, the two shouldn’t be separated. He likes giving good gifts to His children. And once He gives them, He doesn’t kick them around the yard. None of God’s gifts are insignificant. None of them are unimportant. None of them lose their value after the rains of life weather the paint. No, He’s a good gift-giver. Because He’s good and because He loves His children.

[12:35Josh gently and carefully moves the Little Tykes dump truck out of the way and continues weed-eating.]

0 comments: