Monday, February 05, 2007

Filter, Learn, Be Reminded

This week I’ve had the privilege of attending The Pastor's Conference at First Baptist Church Jacksonville, FL. I'm here with my dad and two of my brothers, Jared and Jacob. One thing I've learned in attending so many Christian conferences is that you have to learn how to be your own filter. You take the good stuff and filter it down to where you live - to where it hits home for you - to where it can be applied to your own ministry, your own family, and your own world.

And most of the time it's not so much that I learn new things at these conferences, but that I'm reminded of good things at these conferences. For instance, last night Junior Hill preached a message about John the Baptist and why Jesus called him the greatest preacher who ever lived. One of the suggestions that Junior gave was the fact that he lived his life in unbelievable humility. John said in John 3:30,

"He must become greater. I must become less."

John was a guy who saw hundreds of people coming to faith in the Messiah before the Messiah had even appeared on the scene. John wasn't afraid to lose his crowd to the teaching of another, that being the teaching of the Son of God.

The top of his resume could have stated, “I, John the Baptist, baptized God.” But John wasn't concerned with popularity. He wasn't concerned with status. He wasn't concerned with having his name in the lights of Jerusalem.

I was reminded last night of the need to consistently maintain an attitude of humility in every area of my life. I was reminded that God uses humble people to do great things. I was reminded of just how much I want Proverbs 16:18 to resonate within me at all times - to be demonstrated in me at all times. That’s where I want to be. That’s where I want to live. Great reminder.

1 comments:

Chris said...

Philter under Griph. Hope you're doing well!